Our breast augmentation patients in Chicago often say they gain a newfound sense of confidence after getting breast implants. Many of these women find that their increased confidence inspires them to update their wardrobes and appreciate how they now fill out their existing clothes such as workout gear and bathing suits.
It also is an opportunity to shop for sexier and more fashionable bras. Before rushing out to the lingerie store, it’s important that women with new implants understand the timing of bra shopping after breast augmentation. To help you plan for post-breast enhancement bra shopping, I’ve compiled some tips that I believe all breast augmentation patients should know.
Use these tips as a guideline and have fun shopping:
- Be patient: Wearing a supportive sports bra during the recovery helps your breasts settle properly and is an important part of the healing process. During the initial month or 2, you can expect some residual swelling, and that will make it virtually impossible to determine your new bra size. Wait at least 6 weeks before even thinking about buying new bras.
- Get a professional fitting: Many women, whether they have breast implants or not, wear ill-fitting bras. Determining your bra size shouldn’t be guesswork, especially after undergoing breast augmentation surgery. A professional fitter has the expertise to not only identify the ideal bra size for you but can also provide recommendations about styles that will highlight your body’s new shape.
- Wait even a bit more before buying really expensive bras: Even after you’ve healed and the residual swelling is gone, your breasts continue changing as the implants settle into their final position. Buying a nice bra or 2 is fine, but don’t splurge until about 6 months have passed.
- Be adventurous: Once it’s time to celebrate your new breasts, don’t settle for the same old, same old. Explore the types of bras you’ve always avoided in the past. Try different styles and fashions and appreciate the feel of bras that fit just right.
- Donate your old bras: As women know, bras can be expensive and not everyone can afford to buy quality items. There are a number of organizations that accept lightly-used bras that can be worn by other women. The national organization Free the Girls includes several locations in the Chicago area where you can drop off used bras.
The decision to get breast implants is exciting, and it’s important to choose a board-certified plastic surgeon with a reputation for excellent results. If you’re considering breast augmentation and are looking in the Chicago area for a plastic surgery practice, you can contact us using the online form or give us a call at (312) 788-2560 to schedule an appointment. It’s also helpful to view our gallery of before-and-after photos featuring our actual patients to get an idea of the types of results you can expect.