You have consulted with your surgeon, decided on the best procedure for you, and scheduled a date for your facelift here in Chicago. Now what? It’s time to start prepping your body, mind, and environment for your surgery and the recuperation that comes afterward.
In this blog post, we will share a few helpful steps you can take in the time between scheduling your facelift and the day of your surgery. Follow this checklist to have a smooth surgical experience and the speediest, easiest recovery possible.
Take Care of Your Body
Get your body ready for a quick recovery and reduce your risk of complications:
- Quit smoking and drinking: Quit smoking 4 to 6 weeks before surgery and stop drinking alcohol 3 to 5 days before.
- Stop blood-thinning medications: With your doctor’s permission, stop taking blood-thinning medications or supplements a week before surgery to prevent excessive bleeding or bruising.
- Eat healthy: Eat a nutrient-rich diet with plenty of protein, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water to promote good circulation and healing.
Prepare Your Space
After surgery, welcome yourself home to a clean and stress-free environment:
- Create a recovery nest: Bring all your aftercare essentials and entertainment into a comfortable resting area.
- Prep your meals: Prepare a few days’ worth of healthy frozen meals and easy snacks so you don’t have to worry about cooking.
- Stock up on supplies: Fill your prescriptions ahead of time and shop for recovery items, such as gel ice packs, antibiotic ointments, and facial cleansing wipes.
Make Scheduling Arrangements
Work out the logistics ahead of time so you don’t have to stress on surgery day:
- Plan for help: Arrange a ride home and care for 24 hours after your surgery.
- Request time off: Prepare to take 10 to 14 days away from work and your usual activities. Learn more about the social and physical downtime after a facelift in this related blog post.
Protect Your Skin
Maintaining good skin quality before surgery and protecting skin after surgery will help you enjoy your best results for as long as possible:
- Avoid sun damage: Wear plenty of SPF and avoid sun exposure to keep your skin shielded from damage-causing UV rays.
- Stay moisturized: Keep your skin soft, elastic, and healthy by consistently using moisturizers and hydrating serums.
Follow Your Prep Instructions
Your surgeon will give you detailed instructions for the night before and the day of your surgery, which may include:
- Cleanse your skin: Make sure all makeup, oils, and debris are thoroughly removed.
- Avoid eating or drinking: You’ll need to pause eating or drinking anything for several hours before your surgery.
Do not hesitate to contact our office if you have any uncertainty about getting ready for your facelift surgery. We want you to feel as informed, empowered, and confident as possible when the big day arrives.
To see examples of the results you can expect after a facelift, please visit our before-and-after photo gallery.
If you would like to learn more about the best facelift prep steps from a surgeon in Chicago, please contact us online or call (312) 788-2560.
Leave a Reply